- Pete Barry is an attorney admitted to practice in the State and Federal courts of Minnesota. He is also admitted in numerous other federal courts including the United States Supreme Court. He is a partner of Barry & Helwig, LLC. His national practice is dedicated exclusively to protecting consumers against illegal debt collection activity and training new FDCPA lawyers. He was twice-named by his peers as a Super Lawyer® by Minnesota Law & Politics Magazine. The National Association of Consumer Advocates named him its Consumer Lawyer of the Year in 2005. Pete opened his law practice directly out of law school and has been enjoying his private plaintiff’s practice ever since. His FDCPA Boot Camps have trained over 1,000 lawyers in all 50 states.
- Pete frequently appears in local and national news stories discussing consumer rights issues. He has appeared on NBC, ABC, CBS, MSNBC, and on numerous local stations discussing abusive consumer collection cases. In 2008, Pete appeared on the cover of CityPages magazine in a feature story about his life and career suing debt collectors.
- Pete volunteers as a district ethics investigator and as a formal mentor to law students. He volunteers annually with the Minnesota State Bar Association’s High School Mock Trial Program as a judge and maintains an ongoing pro-bono legal practice. He is a volunteer with the U.S. District Court and Federal Bar Association’s Pro Se Project, assisting unrepresented parties for free in federal civil cases. Since 2003, Pete has taught as an adjunct Professor of Law at William Mitchell College of Law where he teaches Consumer Rights Law and recently received his 10-year teaching award. He was born in San Jose, California in 1964 and lives in St. Paul, with his wife Robin and five beautiful daughters.
- Patrick Helwig is an attorney admitted to practice in the State and Federal courts of Minnesota, as well as the state courts of Wisconsin. As a partner at Barry & Helwig, LLC, he advocates for consumer rights in a variety of cases. Too often consumers are defrauded or harmed in some way by debt collectors, car dealerships, or some other party. Pat is devoted to righting these wrongs by enforcing a remedy for consumers anytime they are subjected to abuses. Fairness and justice, two essential qualities upon which this country was founded, are not upheld when consumer rights have been violated. Pat works tirelessly to vindicate these rights.
- Pat graduated from William Mitchell College of Law in Saint Paul, Minnesota. While at Mitchell, Pat trained in Consumer Rights Law under attorney Pete Barry, and quickly became acclimated to the consumer rights practice as a law clerk for Pete. Pat was also recognized for providing 50-plus hours of public service during law school, which included volunteering at the Public Defender’s Office in Owatonna, Minnesota; representing a client on a criminal appeal; and working with a District Court Judge in Saint Paul.
- Outside the law, Pat is an avid sports fan. As a proud Marquette University alumnus, Pat often travels to college basketball games during the season to watch his Marquette Golden Eagles. Pat also plays in basketball and softball leagues throughout the year, and enjoys a round of golf whenever he can fit it in. Pat grew up in southeastern Wisconsin and spent several years in Milwaukee before moving to Minnesota for law school. Currently, he resides in Saint Paul’s Lowertown.
FREE CASE EVALUATION
We will never share your information.
Here’s what some of our happy clients have to say…
This attorney is a juggernaut! He worked on a consumer rights lawsuit for me. Through his expert knowledge of case law, and adamant professionalism and persistence in bringing about closure in this matter, the case was settled successfully. I personally recommend Pete Barry as a lawyer. If you are serious about stopping adverse debt collection practices, this 5-star attorney is the best in getting the job done, and done right.D.G., Client
Patrick Helwig represented my son on a recent case after we were referred to him. Prior to contacting Patrick, we had no idea how to proceed to get resolution to the issue. During our first correspondence with Patrick, we were instantly put at ease and given a sense of direction to the situation. He answered all of our many questions promptly and kept in constant contact. Patrick was extremely thorough and knowledgeable. He explained everything in a way and at a level we could clearly comprehend. We were continually kept up to date on the status of the case. Patrick was able to take a very difficult and stressful situation and help us to a positive resolution. We are very grateful for Patrick’s patience and expertise during this situation. We would highly recommend Patrick Helwig.A.B., Client
We have more than 25 years of combined federal consumer rights litigation experience. There is no tougher place in the world to litigate than in United States Federal District Court. You'll be glad that your lawyers have both the knowledge of the Court, and the success to back it up.
We've trained lawyers all over the country on how to sue debt collectors and robo callers. We gather all of the best ideas from our legal seminars and bring them back to our law practice. Because we've taught thousands of lawyers in all 50 States, our reputation is second-to-none.
We run an all digital, paperless, law office. We can instantly access any document that has ever been created in your legal file from the secure cloud. Quickly and efficiently. Paper is scanned, optically-character-recognized and fully word searchable. That makes us effective for you and tough for our opponents.
As consumer lawyers, we pride ourselves in answering our own phone calls and emails. If we're available to talk, we will talk. Email is always a great way for you to reach us and we make every effort to get back to you in 24 hours or less. We don't avoid clients. We serve them.